People fall into 3 broad categories: those that loved their childhood, those that thought it was not too bad and those of us that had a really tough one. But what we almost all universally share is the fact that our families wanted us to be good, not get angry and get along with each other. So we learn unhealthy ways to get over feeling angry. This course will help you get back in balance.
Embodies and combines spiritual principles of forgiveness and love with practical emotional tools to achieve the results which allows you to leave the past behind.
Some of us had difficult and traumatic childhoods and we carry the results of those experiences into our lives as adults. We try many things to help us – therapy, anti-depressants and many other things. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they work partly and sometimes we just continue to suffer.
I am one of those people who was emotionally and sexually abused as a child. I carried the results into my adulthood. I have been fortunate enough to have the right combination of experiences and talents to make great headway in healing myself. YOU University is one of the results of that healing. So are good relationships with my kids, a happy marriage – finally – and good feelings about myself most of the time.
The bigger picture of YOU University is that if you heal the past, you will be able to uncover the incorrect beliefs about yourself and life that you carry as a result of unheard and unprocessed feelings. When you do both parts – the healing and the changing of false beliefs, you find you are a kind of vessel for inspiration and therefore can perform inspired action instead of the same old hamster wheel of behaviors which will keep creating pretty much the same life over and over. So you could say this is a journey of healing and awareness and if you keep using what you learn over your lifetime, you will continue to create more and more expanded awareness.
This first class in the series will take about two to three hours to complete. It includes video, written content and suggestions for thoughtful discussion or self-reflection.
You will take this course if you want to learn how to be in charge of your life and feel good about it most of the time. When life throws you a curve, there is no need to crash.
Particularly valuable for those who believe they have had a dysfunctional childhood.
What is covered in each Building (Section):
- Building One – Life Is a School Consider this first building your introduction to the program – YOU University. In it you will be presented with a basic attitude you will need to develop in order to proceed through this course and in order to change your life. It is an attitude called “Life Is a School”. It is the attitude that will allow you to recognize and develop the Observer in you. The Observer simply is and observes – no judgment. You will also be taught a very simple writing exercise to use until the Life-Is-a-School attitude becomes automatic for you.
- Building Two - Personal Curriculum You will learn my story and I will learn yours. That is our curriculum when we come here and be who we are. It is what has made us who we are today. You will write it in a very simple way and work with it throughout the program to bring you the results you came for.
- Building Three – Life Readiness You will learn the many qualities of yourself that you will want to uncover, discover and/or just plain pay attention to. The two most important qualities required for such an in-depth journey of self are commitment and understanding what I mean by taking responsibility. You will also pick up a second tool to help you evaluate and take stock of your life quite simply so you accomplish all that you want to in this program and with the rest of your life – doing it both realistically and self-lovingly.
- Building Four – Deeper Study You have written your story – Your Personal Curriculum. In this building you will go back to your story and find the gifts and learnings from the hard experiences that you have had. Now is an excellent moment to begin to go back to your unique history to understand what else you can become conscious of from it. This is the first of several exercises to do so.
- Building Five – Heal the Past Without the healing, there is a good chance that you will keep finding similar situations in your life to learn and grow from because you didn’t “get it” this time. It’s not a punishment or karma or retribution, it just is that way. So in this building you will learn a way to begin healing the past.
- Building 6 – Mopping Up & Mending Fences I learned about making amends by joining a 12-Step program. The definition of “to make amends” is “to compensate someone for a grievance or injury”. In this building that will be your task using a method learned and tweaked from the 12-Step programs.
- Building 7 – To Give Love as Before “In the long run, it’s not a question of whether they deserve to be forgiven. You’re not forgiving them for their sake. You’re doing it for yourself. For your own health and well-being, forgiveness is simply the most energy-efficient option. It frees you from the incredibly toxic, debilitating drain of holding a grudge. Don’t let these people live rent free in your head. If they hurt you before, why let them keep doing it year after year in your mind? It’s not worth it but it takes heart effort to stop it. You can muster that heart power to forgive them as a way of looking out for yourself. It’s one thing you can be totally selfish about..” Doc Childre and Howard Martin
- Building Eight – Friends In-Deed For the past 25 years I have had in my life like-minded and like-hearted friends, life coaches and significant others – those I like to call buddies. The qualifications to get on that very special list are to be able to understand what I have written here in this program and also see value in the tools I use and perspectives I hold in my life. In this building you will look who your friends are and what you want from the most intimate of those.
- Building Nine – My Cup Runneth Over Maximizing the use of gratitude as a tool has worked in three essential ways to transform my life: quick mood changer; increases vibrational and magnetic power; teaches what’s good about what’s hard. That’s what this building is all about.
- Building Ten – Change Negative Thought You’ll notice that you enter this building only after you have learned how to express and heal your feelings. Once you have those tools and learning integrated, you are ready to learn to transform you negative thought. No danger that way of performing a spiritual bypass.
- Building Eleven – Self-Worth, Emotional Quotient & Self Expression Access to and understanding of your full range of emotions is the key to self-knowledge and interaction with your world. The more aware you are of your emotions, the more you know what is going on in your thoughts – conscious and not conscious. The more you know your thoughts, the better able you are to create your life the way you want it to be.
- Building Twelve – Putting It All Together The rest of your life. How does one put all the learning together?
- Commencement – Scenarios from life. You are given the opportunity to use what you learn in real situations (with the names changed) and see how the new and real you would suggest handling them. A fun way to help cement your learning.
Materials contained in YOU University are made available solely for educational purposes and as part of an effort to raise general awareness. These materials are not intended to be, and are not a substitute for, direct professional medical or psychological care based on your individual condition and circumstances. You are advised to consult your mental health provider about your personal questions or concerns.
This is what happens when one attends YOU University:
At first it’s the cognitive learning, using the tools and the shift and expansion because so much negativity gets released in the environment of love and acceptance.
You’ll actually feel like your DNA has been altered! You look and may even sound completely different!
And when you are done and if the shine on your “new me” begins to cloud a bit, so that you continue to feel good on your own and in your life and not feel good just because you’re talking to your coach or a member of your group or another graduate, you’ll remember all the tools and techniques you learned and you’ll go back into your toolbox or even take yourself through YOU University again.
YOU University FAQ’s
1. How long is the program?
The program can be accomplished in eight months but you can arrange with your coach how long it will take you.
2. What if I cannot speak to my coach every week? Will I miss out on my sessions?
Your coach will work with you on scheduling. Most coaches have an “at least 24 hours notice of cancellation or change” policy.
3. Do I have to pay for the whole program up front or do you have a payment plan?
That is to be arranged with your coach.
4. Who are the best candidates for this program?
It certainly would benefit anyone but those who are most likely to really dive in and do all that’s required are those who have had dysfunctional childhoods and have tried therapy, self-help books, possibly even anti-depressants but really want to get at the core and transform how they feel about life and themselves.
5. What results can you promise?
- Tools that work and are useful forever. Tools for life.
- The development of “the observer” which allows the ability to get outside one’s life in order to live more functionally and at choice rather than knee-jerk reaction.
- Vastly improved relationships as a result of vastly improved communication.
- A full course on how to process and rid yourself of old unexpressed feelings which are affecting your life, work, relationships and body.
- An ability to understand, express and fulfill your own needs.
- A deep understanding of the benefits of continued support and a life of self learning.
- A larger sense of compassion for yourself and others.
- Moving out of unresolved guilt, shame, anger, etc… towards love and acceptance and forgiveness of others and especially of self.
- Learning about how to best make decisions for yourself based on your Human Design which is a system we use to help understand our natural emotional, psychological and spiritual makeup.
- Discovering your ability to set healthy, strong boundaries.
- Creating healthier relationships – with yourself and with others.
How do I get started?
Call or email Maia Berens at email@example.com or 310-264-5625. Best times 9am – 3pm Pacific (Los Angeles).
Teri Henderson, Flint MI:
My life has changed so much since beginning You University and in so many wonderful ways!! Allow me to share some of these ways with you:
- I have a newly found love for myself and increased self-confidence.
- I received clarification & total confirmation regarding my chosen life path.
- I can literally feel both physically & mentally the growth and transformation as it occurs.
- I am more happy & alive with excitement!!
- I am discovering so much more about myself.
- An example of my self discovery, is that I found that I am very intuitive but, tended to shrug it off as mind chatter. I am now nurturing & developing this gift.
- My creative side is coming out & bursting at the seams with excitement at the steady stream of ideas that continually pop up.
- I now have a sense of calm & inner peace that has long since eluded me. As well as a true sense of “knowing,” that I am right where I am meant to be & on the right path also.
- I have learned & utilized the tools that we are taught in You U, experiencing so many profoundly positive changes in my life and my relationships.
- The healing of past hurts and the shift in my thinking that I’ve already experienced has me beyond eager to discover what’s in store ahead, as I delve deeper into You U.
- I have a strong desire to share my knowledge and help others even more so than before enrolling in this program.
- While I have always enjoyed learning, I actually crave it now!
- I am more aware of energy, vibrations and how it relates to me in my life.
- I am much more aware of my feelings & better able to focus my thoughts, process my emotions and not allow others to bother me or transfer their emotional baggage onto me.
- I have gotten back into journaling and am loving it, something I quit doing a long, long time ago.
- I have met and connected with some truly awesome people who get me, who share similar interests, people from all around the world who have been supportive when I needed it, who have inspired me, with whom I am proud to call my friends!!
- I realized that we are all here to live amazing lives, that we deserve to, that its okay to want material things and that I am no longer afraid of becoming successful or living outside of my comfort zone!!
- I have pretty much been clear about what I don’t want in my life but, now I am becoming more and more clear about what I DO want in my life. I no longer feel stuck!!
I could just go on & on, about the multitude of things I feel, have experienced, am experiencing on a daily basis, and how excited I get when I think about or talk about this lifelong journey I have embarked upon through You University. I am grateful for you Maia and for all of you in You U!!
Transformational Effects of Emotion-Based Coaching
Either I’m just the luckiest person in the world or (and I like this idea much better), my plan when I came here to Planet Earth was to have the first part of my life be somewhat hellish and then when it was just exactly the right moment, to run into ways and means to heal from my past. My whole transformational healing journey led to the development of Emotion-Based Coaching.
The Evolution of Emotion-Based Coaching
A lot of people don’t know this about John Gray (author Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus) but he is a master at understanding emotions – how they work and how to process through them. I was trained by him in this work for years. When I met John, I had no idea what a normal array of human emotions were. I usually felt wild optimism or deep sadness and depression.
As a result of what I learned from John and the continued work I did using the tools I learned, I became an emotional intelligence “savant“. After years of using this technology and understanding how the process of emotions works in me, I can and do train coaches in similar work. All of this technology is contained in YOU University.
Couple emotional healing with the universal truths of forgiveness and it’s healing effects, then add on the understanding of what quantum physics says tied in with spirituality and you end up with Emotion-Based Coaching experienced through attendance at YOU University.
Our coaches help clients to heal from their past so they too can continue on their life’s journey towards fulfilling their purpose here on Planet Earth. At the same time that you receive support, guidance, instruction, you can also benefit from the life coaching skills your coach has been trained to do.
Heal the Past, Change Beliefs, Inspired Action
The bigger picture of YOU University and all of YOU University Online programs is that if you heal the past, you will be able to uncover the incorrect beliefs about yourself and life that you carry as a result of unheard and unprocessed feelings. When you do both parts – the healing and the changing of false beliefs, you find you are a kind of vessel for inspiration and therefore can perform inspired action instead of the same old hamster wheel of behaviors which will keep creating pretty much the same life over and over.
As we give these ideas form, we start to see what our program is really about. One particular word or concept that stands out to me is: IMPROVED COMMUNICATION. Using the tools actually promotes this….first, with ourselves, and second, with the world around us. Do you know how many people are out there with severed communication/relationships because of bad learned skills?
Another concept that stands out to me is: OWNING OUR FEELINGS. These are so basic for our integral well being and so many of us have walked around living our lives poorly and not knowing why. This program will help so much and so many.
Savina Cavallo , Miami FL
YOU University: An Online Program to Uncover Your Real Self is a complete transformational program that comes with me as your coach to give you the tools and knowledge to uncover your authentic self. I am really an instructor, guide and life coach.
- YOU University will teach you how to heal your past so you can change your beliefs about who you are.
- YOU University will give you the tools to create the life you want or
- To discover what it is you want and then create that.
Courage – ” I want to go to OZ and ask the Wizard for courage.” Maia you are the wizard in my journey to OZ.
The courageous part of this journey for me – was to be able to let go and truly trust the coaches and Maia the wonderful wizard – that I would be honored and accepted. It has been an easy journey for me to make decisions about moving, and where I have wanted to be physically – some of my family members tell me I am a modern day nomad.
For me to truly give up myself to be in front of many eyes (on the phone ???), ears and voices – knowing that I would be standing naked before the auditorium – really took some gut wrenching strength and courage for me. In life – at work – in many situations I have been a chameleon. I could fit most any place and find I had friends.And yet, I would always feel like I was in a cage at the zoo with the oppressive stares of the crowd piercing through to my soul and making me feel very uncomfortable. The courage to leap into this school and life learning was the most amazing and honestly courageous thing I have ever done in my life.
My decision to walk the yellow brick road to my Oz, and find the Wizard, was the first amazing courageous step in this – my journey………….. Leeanne Crawford, YOU University student
Page last updated on June 5, 2013 at 9:49 am